Monday, March 03, 2008

In Defense of Gaming My Primary Vote

The Obamakins came and left a flyer hanging to my door during the day today.

Luckily, the polling place is right across the street.

Unfortunately, that does not give me a long journey on which to make my decision tomorrow.

For all my complaining about late-inning undecideds, that's what I find myself as on this election-eve in Ohio.

No candidate completely satisfies me. Barry is probably the most attractive, I have the most information about McCain to trust him in the long run...and then there's Hillary.

I'd love to vote for her just for the theater of it all.

I think she's going to pick up Ohio, anyway, and I'd just really love to see the floor fight this summer if this thing keeps going.

Mike Murphy was on MTP yesterday and said almost as much. Paraphrasing, he said that if things keep going this way, when the Dems are in Denver duking it out, he'll be back at GOP headquarters getting drunk and high-fiving everyone.

While I can do without the former, the latter will definitely be fun!

And before my high-minded reader gets angry at me for apparently gaming the system, I'll offer that there are very few of these people who elect who don't do any short-term gaming when they place votes once in office. They may sacrifice one or two items now for a bigger win later on.

If Barry loses Ohio, but still comes out the winner, he'll be stronger for it. And if Hillary, the one who I really don't want to see in office, ends up the party nominee, she's much more beatable in November.

The only worry I have left is whether I can actually bring myself to vote for Hillary.

I've done some pretty shameful things in my life, but that would be a new low even for me...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

And here I thought you wanted to personally drive the stake through her heart...

http://musingsfromcleveland.blogspot.com/2008/02/random-thoughts-on-why-i-might-vote.html

Dan said...

I'm into delayed gratification. I can do that in November if need be.

Unknown said...

I seems funny to me though that you would vote against your preferred candidate to make him stronger.

Sounds like pledge week, hazing, or naming your boy Sue if you ask me.

Personally though, I don't think you will do it. I think it is in such sharp contrast to your beliefs, if I can be at liberty to somewhat pretend to know them/you. I understand you to be pragmatic, but this seems a bit too cynical.

Unless I completely misunderstand.

Dan said...

Much as I'd like to accept the compliment (assuming that's what it was ;-) ), I have to tell you the truth...I just did it.

I felt kind of bad about doing it in one way because it is the first time I've done something like this.

On the other hand, and like I think I have been relatively consistent on, I'm not genuinely thrilled with any of these people. If I were, I could not have done it.

Furthermore, while there was a little bit of the desire for drama, it was also a strategic decision.

My order of preference is McCain, Obama and Clinton a distant third. If Obama's going to get in, he probably does not need my vote, but when it comes down to it, McCain is the lesser of three sub-par candidates.

Maybe this will draw me down in your eyes...but I have to be honest in having done it.

Unknown said...

Oh, Dan.

Chomsky doesn't even vote in national elections, so its ok with me if you use you marginal influence any way that you see fit. If he can sluff off civic duty, you can spit on it. :)

In all honesty though, it seems fair that if these folks running can make a mockery out of our democracy, it is fair that voters can too.

I have always wondered what draws people to follow politics. Some do it because they like the soap opera of power, and others do it because they deeply care about 'the direction.' Most of us fall in the middle, and just think of themselves as more pure. Is one better, or all we all throne sniffers?

I appreciate the blog as it cuts through the crap, and now the author does the same. So good for you, and thanks for the honesty.

As I once heard a wise man say, “You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.”

Or

"I actually did vote for [Hilliary] before I voted against [her].