Sunday, March 09, 2008

CNN and the Race

I'm sitting here watching Wolfie's Gabfest this morning and have to sit back and chuckle a little bit.

Continuing CNN's obsession with racial politics, he has Jesse Jackson, Jr. and Gregory Meeks on, talking about the state of the Democratic primary.

He's pulling up some of the apparently-inflammatory stuff said this week about how African-Americans will vote in the fall, given different ultimate candidate outcomes.

Predictably, Meeks and Jackson expressed outrage at the divisiveness expressed by folks on the right with whom they don't agree.

The sham here is almost breathtaking. Neither of these two politicians have ever shown the least aversion to mobilizing black voters to join together to advance their agenda. There's nothing wrong with this. It's perfectly American and reasonable to do.

However, the moment that someone else takes a look at the slice of the pie they've created, and sees it from a slightly different point of view, they're being 'divisive.' As if the fence were erected solely by others.

I can only think of it if I put up a big fence in my backyard. From where I sit, it makes my yard look beautiful, comfortable and predictable. But is it absurd for my neighbor, who has to look at the fence from his window, to have a different viewpoint of the walls I've put up?

No comments: