Sunday, March 02, 2008

More Annoyance with the Plain Dealer

I may as well go spend my Sunday watching Paulie Shore movies given this streak of masochism I'm showing by continuing to go back to the Cleveland Plain Dealer site.

But it is just another stark example of what's wrong with this area...that they find it tolerable to put up crap in the place of something we'd all hope would be the premier source of local information.

Just looking at the their page, above the scroll, this morning, you can see how little information they really provide to you once you come in the door.

Without even docking points for how arguably-useless some of the information is, compare the PD's 6 directly-linked stories you can see right away to the Chicago Tribune, which has about 17, plus much easier gateways to the rest of the site using the same amount of space.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, can't disagree with your comments on this page, but you do know that it's not the home page, right? The equivalent of the trib page you show is http://cleveland.com.

Dan said...

Thanks for your comment, and it raises yet another unclear thing about the cleveland.com domain.

I'm aware that Cleveland.com links in to the PD site, but...and at the risk of splitting hairs, you say "it's not the homepage."

But my question about that has always been, "the homepage of what?"

What really is the difference supposed to be between the two sites? If you click back and forth between them, they duplicate a great deal of content.

I think that my having to ask is kind of sad...that their site does not have intuitive content lines, but if you could tell me, I'd love to know.

Thanks again.