Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Why I Hope the Democratic Race Goes to the "Fifth Quarter"

I'm just about as close as I've ever been to praying for a political outcome.

Aside from the fact that it will give me a few months of entertainment to watch the Democrat Party duke it out, I have a bit of a larger interest here.

During the 2000 Presidential post-election ruckus, all I heard was this talk about how the Republicans would do anything to get elected and they engaged in all kinds of immoral shenanigans during the election season.

Now I don't dispute the plausibility of those assertions, but I do question the presumption of complete innocence on the part of the Democrats.
If you believe their pitch, they just ran some grassroots campaign originated in union halls and kitchen tables. Then along came the Republicans, who happen to be unique in choosing to run their campaigns on money and influence from powerful people.

If this thing goes the way I hope it does, we'll see yet again that this country has no shortage of sleazeballs who want to live on Pennsylvania Avenue and one's propensity to engage in bad behavior is associated with their point on the politial spectrum as it is to with posession of testicles.

Selah.

No comments: