Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Beauty of Cover Songs Done Right

One thing I hate is when a band decides to cover song X and tries too hard to sound exactly like the band that originally recorded the song or made it well-known.

It seems like kind of a waste to me.

The Grateful Dead, over the course of their years, covered Bob Dylan's music extensively and, in my opinion, helped show what a genius Dylan was. They took his art and reinterpreted it so that you saw its beauty from angles you may have never known existed.

This She Belongs to Me is one of the prettiest versions I've heard. It's a soundboard recording from 1985-9-15 in Chula Vista, California...down by San Diego.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny you should say this about covers. I recently hear Cat Power's cover of 'New York, New York' and thought it was stupendous.

It was so completely different than the Sinatra version, full of desperate optimism.

Dan said...

I have not heard this. I will have to look for it.

Unknown said...

What a beauthy....Thank You much for posting..Merry Jerry!