Thursday, January 31, 2008

My Favorite 'Modern' Bob Dylan Song

Waxing on about what a gift to humankind the boy from the Iron Range is would just be an absurd exercise in redundancy. So I'll just say that, from the first time I heard this song, it became an instant all-time favorite of mine.

I was living in the Bay Area and picked up Love and Theft at the Borders across the street. I listened to it on a weekend drive into San Francisco and an otherwise-unremarkable day became one of those I'll always remember for having this CD with me.

This cut of Mississippi, from October 9, 2001 in Medford, Oregon is not as clean as the studio version, but you know how we roll here. Bob did a slew of great shows in the immediate post-9/11 period and as I get my bootlegs organized at home, I might edit some of them into picture shows and post up some of them later on in the spring.

Is it spring yet?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Also, my favortie track from Love and Theft, but I am partial to Lonesome Day Blues too.

I picked it up on release night at the local Cheapo up the street. I loved going every week and flipping through the bins of used CDs. Ah those were the days.

We went to see Bob during the Love and theft Tour that fall. I ran into my high school history teacher, he was high as a kite, and it amused me to see him so comfortably numb.

Unknown said...

p.s. I think Love and Theft is one of Dylan's best CDs and his best since Slow Train Coming for sure.

Dan said...

Personally, I'm just surprised you don't shop at the Fetus!

Unknown said...

That would imply that I need to leave beautiful St. Paul and go to the red headed step child of my fair city.