Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Wow, I Was At This Show!

This is pretty neat. I was listening to a bootleg of Billy Joel in Milan 1990 this morning and was then looking for something cool to post up.

"Everybody Loves You Now" came to mind as somewhat less popular hit of his that I can listen to over and over...like most of Joel's catalog, frankly.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I found a clandestine tape of his show from last spring out here in Cleveland! The audio is slightly tinny, but I have to admit that the video quality is amazingly crisp!

Enjoy...this guy really does get better with age.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not his driving.

But seriously folks, he does have a great catalog of songs. It seems like everyone likes to hate on Billy these days.

Maybe its because of his daughter trying to take over the biz. ?

Dan said...

I hadn't read that...this would be Christie's daughter? Hmm.

As for his song book, I dunno, I mean the guy is just a good pop song writer. The songs are not always all that deep or meaningful...with the exception of something like 'Goodnight Saigon."

But I can't put myself in the 'all pop is vapid horse piss' crowd. A band like Fountains of Wayne comes to mind as some guys who just put out good enjoyable stuff.

And that show was outstanding and I'd go back in a second. With the exception of my beloved Grateful Dead, there aren't many acts who will go up there for 2.5 hours and play non-stop songs I know and really like. There's not a slow moment in that show.

Here's my post from the night of the show....

http://musingsfromcleveland.blogspot.com/2007/04/billy-joel-in-concert.html