Sunday, October 14, 2007

Going to Have to Dig Out My Rolling Thunder Tapes

Taking a break from housecleaning and I came across this excellent "Isis," performed by Dylan and his Rolling Thunder Revue in 1975.

He was probably on my mind because there was a cool article in last week's Sunday Magazine about the upcoming "I'm Not Here" movie about him. It's a long article, but I found it to be worthwhile and interesting.

The flick got some initial "huh?" sort of ink when people found out that Cate Blanchette is playing one of a handful of "Dylans" in the movie. While I have to withhold final judgment since I've not seen the movie, I can say that the stills of her from the movie are pretty convincing. Next, the article goes into how it's really kind of an experimental movie. There are 6 Dylans in it, one of whom is played by a little African American kid. The point they're trying to get at is how Dylan has repeatedly reinvented himself over the years, shrugging off the past and moving on to the next thing.

I'm anxiously awaiting its release out here in Clevleand, but my understanding is that Weinstein wants to drag out the release a little bit and build up a following.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do believe the "Rolling Thunder" era is my favorite Dylan era. Hes over the pessimism, his song writing is top notch, and the new sound is so fresh. Dylan loves it all.

Dan, have you checked out the stellar "Hard Rain" live album? A little more gutsy, bluesy than most other rolling thunder. Often referred to as Dylan's 'Punk' album.

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Rain-Bob-Dylan/dp/B00000257V

I recommend.

Dan said...

That's one that was not on my shelf, but it will be some day...I just added it to my amazon list...thank you! I love Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, and the rest of that setlist sounds cool, so thank you for the recommendation.

Unknown said...

Shelter from the storm and Maggies farm are the best.