Thursday, October 04, 2007

There is Something Redeeming about the Rudy Campaign

Laxatives may temporarily interrupt one's current daily schedule, but they provide a needed relief and the end result is basically positive.

I've posted many times that I'm no big fan of Rudolph Giuliani's campaign for President. I'm pretty sickened by how he's capitalized on the events of 9-11 as justifcation for his Presidential fitness. I think he has other redeeming qualities that would be more honest to run on.

That said, the way he's dealing with the religious conservatives that apparently hold so much sway in the GOP primary process (and, to a lesser degree in general elections), and how it may play out, is encouraging to me.

As of now, his general statement to the modern day Sanhedrin seems to be, "I'm more or less with you guys on the things that matter, but I'm not going to pretend I'm holider than thou and I'm not going to change my public stance on anything. I hope you're going to give me your vote, but I pretty much know that some people won't. So be it."

Likewise, I don't want to lose GOP votes, but I'm uncomfortable with the ritual candidates need to go through, bowing to these bozos and saying the exact things they want said.
It's not unlike how Dems have to genuflect for The Revs. Al and Jesse. If Rudy can break through and get elected without twisting himself into the doll the James Dobsons of the world demand and still get elected, it's long-term good for the party and the country to purge ourselves of their veto power, even if it means that we have to listen to him re-live 9-11 every week for the next few years.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dan comes face to face with the inevitable nomination...

After shedding a tear for Newt, Dan sighs, collects his thoughts, hitches his drawers, and decides to make the best of it.

Dan said...

I'm looking at the job market in Toronto now. Perhaps will learn to speak French?

Anyway, the best I can do with these lemons is some lemonade, I reckon.

Unknown said...

In Toronto? One should consider Hindi first, it would be more useful there.

Dan said...

No, French for Montreal.