Sunday, April 06, 2008

I Wouldn't Pick Rice for All the Tea in China

Today, I heard and read reports that made me want to look out the window to find the pink elephants.

People on the Sunday shows, as well as this item in the LA Times' political blog, talk in a serious way about Condoleezza Rice as a running mate for John McCain.

I was looking for the telltale signs of stray white dust underneath Dan Senor's nose when he waxed on about it on This Week. For one of the first times in my life, I was tempted to whoop out a 'You Go, Girl' to Katrina vanden Heuvel, who was having a fit at the prospect.

I won't dig into nitty-gritty, petty problems I might have with this woman. No, I'll just keep it at a really high level because I'm a pretty simple guy.

She was the National Security Advisor from 2001-2005. That should probably involve various tasks related to security and not getting attacked and stuff. For the chronologically-challenged, September 11, 2001 fell in that period. She stayed on the job for years after it happened.

Since 2005, she's been our Secretary of State. Now from what I can gather, that should involve things like making sure we have good relations with the people we want to have good relations with. Not everyone's going to like us all the time, but I find it hard to believe that the rest of the world just happened to wake up having turned into assholes the morning after Bush became President.

Now, I get why one could argue that she's an attractive running mate, but oh my goodness, what a disaster.

Please don't do this to yourself, John. Suicide is never the answer.

2 comments:

D. Bilas said...

If Condi gets the VP nod, I'm putting all my chips on Obama -- seems like the odds shift radically in his favor if he runs against anyone directly involved with Bush. Can't really have a bigger surrogate for the Bush presidency than Condi. (Although perhaps Alberto might edge out Condi.)

--Bilas

Unknown said...

Did you see "Bush's War" that I sent you the link to?

Anyway, in there, as well as well documented elsewhere, is her complete incompetence in the first bush administration, especially in allowing all of the infighting and power plays of Rummy and Powell.

She's a disaster.

Its amazing that these pundits overlook real examinations leadership and policy competence just so they can imagine this great race where Obama's blackness and Hillary's obtuseness are mitigated by the Russian studies student.