Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Grateful Dead Perform Dylan's 'Memphis Blues'

This morning, I was listening to a smokin' Hartford show from the spring tour, 20 years ago.

Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again came on just as I was walking into the office and I knew I had to cut this one for you...it's really sweet, even though Bobby goes a bit overboard. The fat man even helps out in the 'Texas medicine' verse.

This is my fave, though, of this totally-out-there masterpiece...

When Ruthie says come see her
In her honky-tonk lagoon,
Where I can watch her waltz for free
'Neath her Panamanian moon.
An' I say, "Aw come on now,
You must know about my debutante."
An' she says, "Your debutante just knows what you need
But I know what you want."
Oh, Mama, can this really be the end,
To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again.

I hope you enjoy it even half as much as I do!

Grateful Dead - April 3, 1988
Civic Center - Hartford, CT

Recording Info:
SBD -> Cassette Master (TDK SA-X90)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks, a great clip to get me rolling in the morning.