Thursday, July 26, 2007

Take a Hike!



My boy, Cody did me a solid the other day and sent up a link to a very cool National Geographic podcast directory.  The shows are of walking tours through major world cities.

On the way to work yesterday, I listened to the Minneapolis one (which, as Cody points out, includes a nice discussion of the distinction between quaint Saint Paul and its hipper, Prince-town sister city) and it was really cool.  They employ the NPR-like technique of nice surround sound of the goings on in the city while explaning the history behind a lot of the bridges and buildings along the river.

There's a good 20 or so other cities currently out there and I think you may enjoy them, too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Cleveland one was great too. "As I cross the bridge across the infamous Cuyahoga River, which caught fire in 1969, I am reminded why this once prowd jewel of the midwest is having such a rough time finding its footing as of late. The place looks and smells of industrial waste..."

Seriously though, the walks are done by Rudy Maxa, who does the great PBS "Smart Travels" series.

Dan said...

I listened to the Chicago one (only 15 minutes...ech!) this morning and enjoyed that, as well.