Friday, July 20, 2007

Good News on the Movie Release of HST's The Rum Diary


I started following some of my own links around after the Hunter S. Thompson birthday post the other day to check up on the scoop for the movie version of his novel, The Rum Diary.

The project has languished in a pre-production state for the last few years.  Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro, who starred in 
Thompson's other movie adaptation, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, are said to be involved.

Variety reported in April that a new production company has picked up the project.

Hope springs eternal.  Rarely have I anticipated a movie release like this one.

I'm generally not the biggest fiction fan in the world, but if you have any interest in this sordid tale, and a nice primer to the Doctor's style, I give it five stars.

Here's a little video of Hunter talking with Charlie Rose about the novel.

No comments: