Thursday, July 12, 2007

Huckabee Fires Back at Michael Moore



Well, I guess you gets what you gets when you stick your necks out in the public sphere preaching to us about a social ill.

I have yet to see Michael Moore's new Sicko, so I won't comment on the content, but it points out a number of structural flaws in the system...flaws with the providers/distributors, that is.

GOP Presidential candidate, former Arkansas Governor and weight loss champion Mike Huckabee is claiming that people with life- and body-styles like Moore are also part of the problem!

On a very high level, it seems only fair, if you really are serious about solving the healthcare "problem," to look at the whole picture, not just what the other guy is screwing up.

If I just threw all my loose trash out in the street, rather than packing it up in bags and cans to pull out to the curb every Wednesday morning, my complaints about the damned garbagemen not making my neighborhood look prettier would be shallow.

Hopefully this discussion will bring something out that's more original than, "the government needs to do more on the reactive side of the equation."

2 comments:

Jim said...

there is an interview with moore where he talks about his own health and how he is slowly trying to lose weight through diet and excercise.

you don't have to be god to preach the word, right? do you have to be perfect to preach the word?

yeah...that is what i thought :)

Dan said...

Oh I think you missed my point...perhaps I was not so clear.

Michael Moore has every right to point out the flaws he sees in the system. Again since I have not seen the movie, I won't pass judgement on his individual arguments.

My only point here is that if we are serious about making the system better (whatever that means) then we should have the courage to examine both the providers' AND participants' behaviors.

Maybe he does give this argument equal time in the movie...