Saturday, July 14, 2007

Gearing up for the Ratdog Show

Bobby Weir's post-dead project, RatDog, is coming to Cleveland this week and I'm starting to get ready for my dose of crazy.

I was never the biggest Bobby fan before Jerry Garcia checked out and previous incarnations of RD, in 96 and 97 led me to swear that I would never sully my ears again by listening to him.

As the Clintons know, though, promises are made to be broken.

I broke down a few years ago and started slowly easing back in and his band really has taken a nice shape and they have a very jazzy 
sound that appeals to my current tastes.

Rock on, Bobby...even if you were the Dead's equivelant of Ringo.

Here they are performing "Sugar Magnolia"...sans "Sunshine Daydream" ;-(

1 comment:

Zoooma said...

Man, Bob & Jerry went together like, ummm, like two things that go together so perfectly. Like a spoon with ice cream, yeah, that's the ticket. There never woulda been a GD without Bobby. How great he and Jerry played off each other. The Dead without Hell in a Bucket or Music Never Stopped or Let It Grow or Jerry singing Masterpiece or Desolation Row... that's just the tip o' the iceberg!

I never could understand fans who didn't especially care for Bobby. Not that there was anything hideously despicable about such people, I mean, we're all still Deadheads!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the show!

P.S. Ratdog isn't truly a post-GD project. It is but it's not in this way -- He started the band as a side-project/extension of Weir-Wasserman BEFORE Jerry died. P&F is truly a post-GD project but not really so for RD.

garciya later...