Sunday, November 18, 2007

Something That Drives Me Nuts

I was reading a characterization of something that happened at my workplace last week and my toes just curled as the writer used one of the most annoying rhetorical shortcuts I can think of.

Paraphrasing, the person wrote that, 'it was so tense in the office, people were literally turning to stone as...'

Oh really? Now I wasn't on the same floor as this person, but you can't blame me. I was dealing with the Cuyahoga River turning to blood!

One of the most notable recent practitioners of this verbal bukakke was John Kerry, by the way. The New York Times, as well as other outlets, were all over it at the time. One zinger I remember was when he accused President George W. Bush of 'literally throwing out the baby with the bathwater.'

No comments: