Saturday, November 24, 2007

More Evidence of Dan's Catlike Reflexes to Catch a Good Thing While It's Happening

If there was ever any doubt that I'm perpetually apprehensive about bringing new things into my life, I proved it yet again last week when I watched, loved and lamented the 2006-passing of the charming Fox show, Arrested Development.

What a treat!

I'm not sure how I tripped upon it, but added it to my Netflix list and watched Season 1 last week and was immediately smitten.

Starring former kid-star and brother of Justine, Jason Bateman, it's about a dysfunctional family trying to maintain appearances and the family business after the patriarch, Jeffrey Tambor (AKA Hank "Hey Now" Kingsley) was thrown in jail for embezzlement in the pilot.

The perfectly-chosen backdrop for everything that goes on in the series is the outwardly-beautiful, yet shoddily-constructed, model home they live in, out in the middle of nowhere. It's the ultimate metaphor.

I won't bore you with more plot lines from the show, but I'm anxiously awaiting getting seasons 2 & 3, and recommending that you do yourself a favor if you've not seen this delightful show and rent it right away.

Maybe good TV is not dead...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Were you looking at my netflix friends list. Laura and I are just getting through season 3 right now.

We also discovered the show too late in its life, and it was canceled shortly thereafter.

Its a great show as it has lots of in your face hillariousness, yet has so much more that you catch and feel so smart for discovering it.

Dan said...

Ahhh yes, perhaps it was you, Mr. Cody....I got a royal kick out of Season 1. Thanks!

Unknown said...

You would be lost without my guidance, and prophetic wisdom.

Dan said...

Well, you made one accurate prediction when you went back to mpls ;-)

Unknown said...

Have you gotten as far as when Gob gets married? Apparently the Gap is using that photo of them in the scarves for its Christmas promo.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/17808954.html

Dan said...

No, I'm up to episode 3 of season 2...when the father was living up in the attic.

Unknown said...

Its in season 1, when they do the escalation of dares.

Dan said...

while i don't think you are lying to me, i really don't remember that in season 1.