Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Second Oldest Profession

Ronald Reagan used to have a line to the effect of, 'They say that politics is the world's second-oldest profession, but the longer I'm in it, the more I understand its similarities to the oldest.'

No reasonable person can argue that people running for office, particularly the highest office in the land, have to whore themselves out, but Giuliani's Robertson endorsement really puts the nail in the coffin.

I don't have a particularly hard time dealing with rational people of faith who like to speak about their faith publicly. I don't mind that they argue for, for instance, public support of religious-based organizations offering certain social services. While I am no legal scholar, I think it's hard to justify Medicare payments to religious hospitals or student loans to people attending religious colleges. Reasonable people can disagree on these points and it's worth at least debating.

But Robertson is an outright nut. His decision to demonize members of our society and encourage assassination of foreign heads of state, while cloaking it in religion, sickens me.

He has every right to his opinions and to mobilize his flock to vote in lock step with him.

But I really get turned off by the pols who kiss his holy ass.

Unfortunately, this was a big power grab for the Rudy campaign and it's going to pay off for him big time.

Now I'm off to search on Monster for jobs in Canada.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dont worry, Hillary will win and all of this will be a footnote in history.... or will we have to call it herstory then?