Sunday, September 23, 2007

This is Why America is Doomed

This dimwitted Star Jones replacement, Sherri Shepherd, believes that the Bible is the literal word of God.

Okay, fine. I don't have a categorical problem with people of faith and other fairy tale believers.

Whoopie Goldberg, who I find myself in the unfamiliar position of defending, asked her if the world was flat. Shepherd said that she didn't know, that she'd never really thought about it, and that if her child ever asked her, they would have to make a trip to the library to investigate this cutting-edge scientific dilemma.

The issue comes in when I realize that her fat bottom is on that show for a reason...she appeals to a wide swath of the American public.

This sort of vapid approach to life, where the, "well, Whoopie, what I have thought about is how to feed my family" excuse is accepted as a catch-all rationale for not having taken the time in your life to think of any thoughts beyond how to put food in your belly is pretty disturbing.

I suppose it's nothing new, but when this sort of person is presented up there not as an entertainer to make us laugh, but as someone espousing a legitimate Viewpoint, I get scared to walk the streets...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Plato's cave.

"Close the frickin' door, you're letting all the heat out."

Dan said...

Okay, I'll admit to being an idiot...I don't get the Plato reference nor could I find it.

Can you shed light, oh great one?

Unknown said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave