Sunday, September 23, 2007

New Feature

In a desperate attempt to double my readership up to a dozen unique visitors ;-) I'm going to dink around with something new here that interests me.

I'll occasionally put up music clips that I find interesting and cool, but am now going to make an effort to link up similarly interesting/cool/influential political speeches that I can find out there.

Most of the reason I get off on politics so much, I think, is not because of some great sense of patriotism or civic responsibility, but rather how people use their gift of persuasion to influence public opinion.

I'll include formal political speeches as well as other times when they were on camera. One that I hope to dig up is when George H.W. Bush got Dan Rather to walk off the set when he turned the tables on him.

As the first installment, I'll throw up something that I can still remember Mr. Klora teaching us about all those years back in US History, 1945-Present in high school....Veep Candidate Nixon's Checkers Speech.

Given on this date back in 1952, it predated HD-quality video by a few weeks, but it was a great leap, in some direction, when it came to the use of television in moving public opinion.

2 comments:

Michael R. Kramer said...

Hello! I'm glad I'm not the only one to acknowledge the anniversary of the great Checkers speech. If you're interested, check out my blog post from earlier today:

http://michaelkramersblog.blogspot.com/

Dan said...

Thanks! I enjoyed reading it. Clicked over to your other page and I see that we were probably up at the U of MN right around the same time!