Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Jena 6

I really hate to find myself on the same side of the coin as the Revs. Al and Jesse, but when it happens, the situation must be kind of a special situation.

I read a story this afternoon that caused me to put myself on their side.

There's a little town in central Louisiana, Jena, where there was apparently a tree that the white kids used to sit underneath. After some sort of school assembly last year when a black kid had the nerve to ask, rhetorically, if only whites could sit underneath it, some nooses ended up appearing on the tree.

Over the next few months there were some skirmishes, where both sides got out some cans of whoopass, resulting in some scrapes and bruises on the white kids and the black kids with charges that could have landed them in the can for 15 years.

The kids who hung the nooses got a 3-day school suspension.

This story is starting to pick up some steam and it's just shameful to read...even if we don't know 100% of the story, which I'm sure we don't.

No comments: