Sunday, June 17, 2007

Will Rudy be 'Swiftboated' by the FDNY?


Well, I live in Cleveland and I was in Silicon Valley on 9-11, so don't take my word for it.

The New York Times, in a front page splash this morning, pulls together some New York firefighters who show that there is no unanimity in their presumed love and support of the Giuliani for President campaign.

While some of them will fall back on the "he may have screwed us,  but he'd still be good for the country as a whole," there seems to be a halfway organized effort underway to inform the public of just how good a friend Rudy was to the folks he's associated himself with in the press.

The primary beefs against America's Mayor are stinginess in pre-9-11 contract negotiations, pulling the firemen out of the rubble when they were still searching for their fallen brothers (on this one, reasonable minds could argue that it was one of the few instances of Rudy letting safety trump cajones), and making too big a spectacle of his appearance at FDNY funerals.

"I told my wife, ‘Anything that ever happens, I don’t want him at my funeral.’ ”
FDNY Firefighter John Walsh

No comments: