Friday, August 01, 2008

An Earned Good Retail Experience

So, the old iPod was giving me trouble. I called the Mayfield Heights Best Buy the other night and explained that I was having periodic problems with it...that it was regularly (but not constantly) failing to recognize my touches to the screen. The young lady assured me that even though it was not happening all the time, I could come in and get it swapped out with my repair plan.

Well...I went through the trouble of getting out there today only to find out that they had no interest in doing this. Since it was operating fine at the moment, the best they could do is hold on to it for a few days, try to recreate it and, if they were unable to replicate, would give me my same model back.

Those who know me know that I have a real aversion to being overly-assertive. I don't send food back in restaurants and don't make a habit of asking to see the manager. But I'd had enough of this. I paid good money not only for the iPod, but for the service plan and was assured that I could bring it in and the situation would be resolved to my satisfaction. I stayed calm, but insisted on seeing the manager to explain this.

She came out, explained that the repair plan did only entitle me to the scenario above, but that she'd make an exception and get me a new, identical model.

I didn't want to pull the sappy "you've just lost a customer" routine with her, but that would have been my only real recourse, since I was not going to disrespect myself by making a hysterical scene there.

While I can do without the hassle, I left the store a satisfied customer in the end.

I will admit, though, as I was waiting for her to come back from the office, I did feel a bit like Howard Beales...

No comments: