Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A Little Europe Seventy-Two-Fer

I'll continue Holy Week here with two cuts from the epic Europe '72 tour and subsequent live triple album.

This was Pigpen's last active tour with the band.

While I'm not as big a fan of his as others are, his contribution to the early years of the band cannot be denied by the serious or casual fan.

Enjoy two cool tunes, Ramble On Rose and Big Railroad Blues from Copenhagen on April 17, 1972, the latter of which is prefaced by some horsing around with masks, which is explained in the above-linked wiki entry.

As I've posted here before, Europe '72 was probably the recording that turned me on to these guys and if you want a really good primer, I highly recommend picking this up. It's from a very creative period, the songs are well-played and it's just a hell of a good time.

Ramble On Rose

Big Railroad Blues

No comments: