Sunday, August 31, 2008

One Good Thing out of Nagin's Trap

I'm not sure what I'd do if I was the mayor of New Orleans, with this storm coming. Part of me thinks they're overreacting and skittish about what happened last time...and the other part of me has trouble blaming the skittish part for being so.

I have CNN on in the background here and Ray Nagin is giving a press conference about the mandatory evacuation of the city...which means that you can choose to stay, but if you do, you're allegedly on your own and are not to expect any city services or protection (neither of which appear to be high value commodities even under the best of circumstances, as I understand!)

But they're also instituting a curfew and he warns that the Five-O will be approaching roaming individuals with prejudice and that anyone caught looting will be sent "straight to Angola."

Right on, Mr. Mayor.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Some balance?

How is this guy still mayor?

Dan said...

The same thing that keeps other incumbents in for a second term. ;-)

Unknown said...

The old "got more votes than the opponent" trick.

Of course that one has its exceptions... Like in 1888 with Harrison vs Cleveland. Closest Evar!