Saturday, September 27, 2008

No New Information On or In The Debate

Well, we didn't get too much brand new information at the debate last night, but that's no surprise. When news is made at these things, by my memory, the flavor is often in style, not some dramatic policy announcement that's not been tested in the polls or on the stump.

As evidence, some of the more memorable debate moments in my lifetime were 41 looking at his watch, "I won't exploit... my opponent's youth and inexperience," and "You're no John Kennedy."

This first linked video above also helps explain why Clinton whipped Bush's ass that year.

But going back to last night, I think that the person who attempts to be objective can find wins and losses in each of the candidates' performances and that person might conclude that it was a draw. I did, at least.

Since there's so much editorializing out there already, I don't feel inclined to carry on any more about it with some sort of point-by-point commentary.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with your analysis, the debate wasn't really the mover each camp would have liked.

It reinforced my commitment to supporting Obama, a republican friend of mine (yes, I haven't yet disowned him) had the same experience with his candidate.

Who knows what those pesky undecideds thought. Early indications are that Obama did better, primarily because of the advantages of his policies rather than debate performance.