Friday, August 10, 2007

One Last Garcia Music Post

Well, regular life got in the way of a planned Garcia post yesterday to kind of tie it all together for me. I may have time for that after work or tomorrow...but things are busy.

I'll post here, though, my final Garcia music posting for this auspicious week.

"So Many Roads" is another late-era Hunter/Garcia work and, appropriately enough, is about someone towards the end of a journey...one where the trip was the destination.

From the land of the midnight sun
where ice blue roses grow
'long those roads of gold and silver snow
Howlin' wide or moanin low
So many roads I know
So many roads to ease my soul


While the Grateful Dead played this at their last concert performance (Chicago, 1995), that tape is just not fun for me to watch. While Jerry's no Bruce Jenner in this tape from the UNLV kickoff of the 1994 Summer Tour, he's certainly more on his game and allows us to enjoy the music rather than fixating on what a nasty opiate habit can do to your body.

I hope you enjoy this bittersweet tune at least half as much as I do.

No comments: