Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Bill-O Factor

When I was a kid and learned about the Nazis, I sometimes wondered how a whole society could get all whipped up into believing that an ethnic group was the source of so many ills.

It just seemed so foreign to me.

While common sense forces me to stop well short of saying that we're on par with Germany in the 1930s, I just read something that showed me just how easily people here are being whipped up, too.

The McPaper ran a story about how many DUI deaths there were in the country last year, which states had more, which had less, etc.

This is no doubt a social ill worthy of folks' attention and with the traditional Labor Day crackdown around the corner, it was a timely story.

But I started scrolling through the comments at the bottom of it and while it was by no means the majority of posters, the number of people referencing "illegals" and how they "know that in the origin country of 'illegals' there is not much education on this" left me speechless.

I was without speech.

I've seen Bill-O do shows like this...finding crimes that are committed by a wide cross-section of people living in America (including "illegals") and all but saying that if we just got rid of the spics, our other unrelated social ills would be cured.

There was a story the other day about a looming water shortage in Las Vegas. You can extend the argument above to show that if it weren't for all these damned wet backs, we could all have our own cement pond.

Question is, who would clean them?

1 comment:

Jim said...

"it only takes 5 toes and a heel to make a 12 ton truck move forward. if you want to control where it goes, throw in some fingers and a palm."

-Jim