Monday, July 28, 2008

Need New Router

Boy, life really has degenerated when a now-dead router has messed up my night. I got home to find that power seems to have gone out. It was already back on for me (but not for the folks using Cleveland Public Power...which is an odd shift, usually us Illuminating customers get the short end of the stick) but I had internet problems lingering.

After far too long on the phone with AT&T's service folks, we determined that my one-year-old Linksys router had bit the dust.

This fellow suggested a Belkin, so I'm going to go pick one up tomorrow and have a followup call scheduled.

Anyway, the psychic damage this did to me reminded me of this Pew poll...and the increasing list of "things" Americans can't seem to live without.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a Belkin at home, and its an OK router.

You really should look at getting one with a HD built in that you can use as backup network storage or something. I have been looking at them myself.

Dan said...

I got the belkin and it was very easy to set up, but it seems very choppy. loses connection, just for a microsecond, quite often!

This screws up IM programs and my work machine's VPN.

I'm kind of irritated.

Need to mess around with it, but I mgiht take it back and go to Linksys again. I never had this problem with that one!

Unknown said...

I fed my connection to my upstairs neighbor a while and he complained of the same thing.

Dan said...

Yes, I'm trying to boot up the work machine now and Notes won't even load my inbox. This is a disappointment.

Unknown said...

Well, I thought you weren't going to say where you worked. Letting the population know you use Lotus Notes means you work at one of 4 places, and one of them is IBM.

Dan said...

Very funny.

OK, I work in Jimmy Dimora's office in Cuyahoga County.

You got me.

But honestly, this is so piss poor, it's embarrassing. I am having to reconnect every few minutes.