Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My New Favorite Word

Locavore- Someone who eats food grown or produced locally or within a certain radius such as 50, 100, or 150 miles. The locavore movement encourages consumers to buy from farmers’ markets or even to produce their own food, with the argument that fresh, local products are more nutritious and taste better.

The New York Times has had a fetish for this food trend lately, with at least two front-pagers in the last few weeks. I also read an article in The American Conservative a few weeks back that makes the case that eating locally like this is also, contrary to the hippie stereotype, not solely the domain of the lefties.

By eating more locally-grown food (not only veggies, mind you, but also some good old beef and pork!), one may be able to reduce the influence of the ADMs of the world, as well as the Department of Agriculture and their stranglehold on the whole process.

I am not painting myself as anything close to an expert on this topic, but merely parroting what seemed to be reasonable-sounding arguments to me.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I find the AC interesting these days as it basically arrives at the same conclusions that the 'pinkos' do, but uses different logic and reasoning to get there.

Whatever it takes I guess, but it seems obvious what the desired directions should be.

Also, you should look into Cargill too. They are buying 'huge tracts of land' (sorry the melon photo made me think of it) in Brazil and elsewhere. Very interesting developments.

Dan said...

Yeah, ADM always comes to mind first for me when it comes to agbiz, but that does not surprise me one iota...

Interesting.

Unknown said...

Cargill is scarier to me anyway, in that its all privately owned. No shareholders, no real transparency. Nobody knows what their balance sheets look like.

Unknown said...

If you haven't had the "all soy" meal at ADM, you don't know what you're missing. They have some great hydroponic and tilapia farms as well.

Cargill hands out chocolate made with corn syrup. Don't eat it, it'll make you yack.

What happens if you want to eat a banana or a mango? I don't imagine you can be a locavore and still eat a lot of fruit.

Their argument is severely flawed.

Dan said...

Well, if you live in Rogers Park or down on Halstead...

Unknown said...

You can grow greens in your apt or house.

Dan, I should send you pictures of my tomatoes, they are over 6 ft tall.

Dan said...

They grew bigger than mine, then. I may go back to growing in the ground next year. I suspect these pots, big as they are, might not have been the best idea. The grape one is about 5.5 feet tall, but others are a little shorter...