Thursday, May 08, 2008

"There is No Hanky-Panky Going On Here in Lake County"

Those are the words of the moronic Rudy Clay, Mayor of Gary, Indiana, deflecting criticism of The Region's late reporting of election returns on Tuesday.

I grew up in Lake County, went to high school a few blocks away from the Gary border and find the whole spectacle to be embarrassing and predictable.

Rudy was a stated Obama supporter and it's not absurd to think that he wanted to model a stunt based on Cook County's (IL) role in the 1960 Presidential Election when the Daley machine delivered the margin for Jack Kennedy.

I find it particularly embarrassing that the first time I ever recall seeing a New York Times article about the area I grew up in, it's because of a situation like this.

The jackasses of Gary who elected this charlatan are getting what they asked for.

While Rudy's incentive to engage in monkeyshines is clear, his inability to pull it off is something that anyone who's seen Gary's official website could have predicted.

Just look at the welcome message from the City of the Century's Mayor. I've added some bold red for you, but not changed any grammar or punctuation.

Gary, Indiana: "We Are Doing Great Things"
I just want to say "Thank You"! I am proud to be the Mayor of my hometown. As Gary's best days are ahead, we look forward to many new development initiatives to bring jobs to our community, to revitalize, and to rebuild our city.

Gary, Indiana has a great history and has the greatest people. Now we must build the greatest city. I believe that Gary will realize it's full potential and will see a resurgence that will surpass many of our visions. Together we can make it happen.

Mayor Rudy Clay

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe they were getting "Higher in Dyer" and lost track of the time?

Dan said...

That made me laugh.

When I was a kid, someone used to sell t-shirts that just said:

Whereinthehellisdyerindiana?