Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Show I Completely Missed the Boat On


Thanks to the wonder of Netflix, I've recently started to catch up on a boat I missed in the 90s...The Larry Sanders Show.

While I was familiar with the basics of the show (a behind-the-scenes look at a late night talk show hosted by Garry Shandling), I guess we can write this off to my having been a poor, HBO-less student at the time it was on.

They recently released a 4-disc Best-of compilation of the show and I have been working my way through it.

As the show was on HBO, they could have situations and language that would not cut it on network television, but it never really goes the point of being gratuitious or vulgar.

Since ShandlingSanders hosts a late night show, there's a built-in opening for numerous cameos and they take full advantage of contemporary stories of the time (the real-life Late Night wars with Letterman/Leno, Sharon Stone's leg crossing and Ellen Degeneres' penchant for rug munching, to name a few.)

This show is futher evidence that HBO, per capita, has by far the best writing in television and should keep up the good work.

No comments: