Saturday, May 12, 2007

Ron and Sam's Drive to Save Internet Radio

While he's by no means a back-bencher, I didn't anticipate posting anything in the near-term about lispy U.S. Senataor Ron Wyden (D-OR).  He appears to be a decent enough guy and not overly combative when I scan past CSPAN, but I never really latched on to something he had to say.

Until this week.

As you may be aware, the Recording Industry Association of America recently started to move on a plan that would basically crush small internet broadcasters (including public/community radio stations) by upping the royalties they pay on music between 300 and 1200 percent.  Shame on them.

Wyden and Republican Darling-of-the-Social-Conservatives Presidential hopeful Sam Brownback (R-KS)  introduced a bill that would basically neuter the RIAA's hemlock.

As someone who really got hooked on community radio when I lived in the Twin Cities (KFAI's 'different station every hour' is wonderful!), I don't want to see them go the way of the Edsel and will pretend, for the moment, that I don't usually prefer a hands-off government.

It's my blog and I'll be a hypocrite if I want to!

Happy Saturday....I'm out to buzz some bushes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

don't worry so much - the copyright board ruling itself is intrusive government, so legislation modifying a ruling of theirs is no more intrusive.

Of course, the mandatory license that allows your community radio to play what it wishes for a government mandated rate is also far from hands off government - so perhaps the whole hands-off, hands-on thing is not as black and white as you think