Sunday, March 11, 2007

NHL Doles Out Longest Suspension in History



It's not my habit to put sports items up here, but this one caught my eye. Today, the NHL suspended Chris Simon for 25 games, which effectively ends his regular season and any post-season that his New York Islanders could be a part of.  He's under a 1 year contract and, at 35 years of age, one has to wonder if this is the nail in his coffin.

He chopped some other dude "like he was cutting down a tree" according to the announcers.  I concur.  Ouch. You get the best picture of just how good he got him around 10 seconds before the end.





Anyway, the reason this story jumped out at me is that he was just featured this week on HBO's Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumble.  I enjoy the human interest stories about sports, so I occasionally tune in.  The segment he was in was about Islanders coach Ted Nolan, an Indian from Canada and some of the struggles he's gone though in the league.  Back in the day, Nolan helped Simon get off the sauce and they'd remained friends ever since.

Well, no hockey posting would be complete without a picture of Slapshot's Hanson Brothers.

Enjoy.


No comments: