Sunday, March 04, 2007

Keeping an Open Heart Towards John McCain


Primarily over the war, I gave up on National Review some time back in favor of Pat Buchanan's American Conservative.

While I have not picked up this print edition yet, nor read the article, I have not second-guessed my decision to cancel my subscription, especially after seeing the cover.

On ideological grounds, I'm a strong fan of neither John Wayne McCain nor Rudy Giuliani.  Convservatives should know better than to put their energies behind a candidate who's shown little affection, and even downright hostility towards them in the past, in the hopes that favors will be rewarded on principle later on down the line.

They should follow former President Clinton's advice to put aside the "politics of personal destruction," avoid a lot of dabbling in candidates' personal affairs and draft Newt Gingrich, dammit!  While I'm intrigued by the prospects of a President Newt, even if he loses, the depraved political junkie in me starts to dance a little jig when I consider settling in next fall to watch a debate between Hillary and Dr. Gingrich.

1 comment:

Illinois GOP Network said...

Thanks for the plug. We are going to have a web sticker that you can add to you blog soon, so keep checking the site.