Saturday, March 31, 2007

Garry Meier Returns to Chicago Airwaves



This item is admittedly of limited interest, but since I'm in charge here, it's going up.

Garry Meier, after a three year absence from the airwaves, signed a contract this week to do an 8-11 morning slot on WCKG in Chicago. He's bookended by syndicated act Opie and Anthony before and Stan Lawrence and Terry Armour, who cover middays.

Radio God Steve Dahl follows Stan and Terry.

In terms of radio quality (among other things more directly and intentionally provided by my parents) I grew up a  very spoiled child.  Chicago had a number of fantastic music radio stations including WLS in its heyday and WXRT.  On the talk side, Larry LujackKevin Matthews and Steve and Garry were always on the box growing up.  The latter duo probably explain the deviant habits and sense of humor I ended up developing.

Garry's an interesting guy.  He's excellent as a sidekick.  While acting as a straight man with Steve, as well as doing character voices such as Cliff (who runs the Radio and Film Ranch for Wayward Boys in Unincorporated Grundee County), Garry Meier is priceless.  I can still remember being at an old high school job with a friend of 
mine, doubling over in pain I was laughing so hard when they did a bit about 
"Cliff's" delivery of gerbils getting lost at the station. 

But he got too big for his britches and this contributed to the duo's highly publicized breakup in the early 90s.

Since then, Garry has struck out on his own and only started to find himself part of something meaningful when he paired up with Roe Conn on WLS.  The Roe and Garry breakup followed an eerily similar script as the one with Steve.

During this time, it should be noted that Steve Dahl has, for all intents and purposes, remained continuously employed and able to reinvent himself as time goes on.

After three years out of work, I'm very curious how much staying power he has after the initial "how ya been doin?" schtick wears off.  I'm equally curious how this will play with Steve and Garry both at the same station...where Steve is no doubt playing the Alpha role.

Aside from a local bombshell reunion last summer in Chicago, the two had apparently not spoken in some 12-13 years.

I'll be tuning in to the podcasts next week....

2 comments:

LM said...

Good one, Dan!

Susan E. Falk said...

This post popped up because of Steve Dahl's name. I'm a former Chicago native myself, and will be tuning in to the podcasts. I was living there at the time Steve/Gary had their breakup, right after Gary's marriage - it was quite stupid if you ask me. Of course, I'm sure there were things we the public weren't privy to.

Anyway, I always found it interesting Steve has been the one to plug away and continue on, when Gary was always touted as the more respectable of the two.

End random comment from a complete stranger :-)