Thursday, April 26, 2007

Godspeed, Roger Ebert

Film critic Roger Ebert made his first public appearance since he began having cancer-related surgeries last June. The longtime Chicago Sun-Times columnist showed up at his Overlooked Film Festival in his hometown of Champaign, Illinois.

I guess I'm reaching the age where it's becoming more and more common to know people who have serious illnesses, and I have to take my hat off to Mr. Ebert. Knowing that his appearance would bring about some unflattering photographs, he wrote in an email to Sun-Times staffers last week:

"So what? I have been very sick, am getting better and this is how it looks."
I know a person who recently had their own bout with illness that changed appearances somewhat. I was so impressed with this person's almost "f**k it!" attitude as they did not bother to go through a lot of coverups.

I don't know how I would behave if I were, god forbid, in that situation, but I admire people who realize that the cosmetics don't really matter.

No comments: